Sunday, August 23, 2009

Worry


More Reflections from a Country Girl on Foreign Soil...

“What is this…a Necklace, Hatband, Prayer Beads? What?”

I recently had a birthday and my husband came home to eat lunch with me as he does every day, but on this particular day he brought me a “present” for my birthday. Smiling from ear to ear, He handed me a plastic grocery bag of goodies he’d picked out especially for me. He gave me four candle holders which match some dishes I purchased at the Dollar Store back home. (Our normal dishes are in storage because we’re building a new house.) Also in the bag were some unusually strung beads with no clasp and they would not fit over my head. They also looked too small for a hatband. All right-y then! Yes-sir-ee! Moving right along! Last but not least, there was a container of foot powder (because I can’t find 100% cotton socks over here and my exercise sneakers get smelly from sweating in polyester socks)! Bet you’re saying to yourself, “WOW, what a guy!!!” I know that’s right…and actually, I would be thinking the same thing! The thing that you need to realize though and that I have to confess, is that he has already taken me shopping while living here in Saudi Arabia for gold and silver jewelry and belts, as well as a beautiful custom-sized, hand-made rug for our new house. So it’s really, I mean REALLY not as bad as it sounded!!!

I thanked him, of course, and then asked what the beads were for. He said, “ They are worry beads.” Well, my immediate reply was, “Thank you honey, but I don’t worry…I may have concerns at times, but I take them to God and I don’t worry. I know everything is in God’s hands and He’s in ultimate control!” He laughed and said, "they are a souvenir for you." I said, “Oh, ok.” So off and on I’ve been giving these "worry beads" a glance and finally, I had rearranged things on the end table and I caught a glimpse of them lying on my Bible. That did it, I had to know more about these beads and I really didn’t want something that signified “worry” sitting on my Bible! So if you’re interested too, click on the link below. It is the best explanation I’ve found:

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/196806/worry.beads.htm

From all the sources I’ve read though, the number of beads signifies different things. I still can’t figure out why mine has three divided sets of 22 beads…totaling 66 beads with 2 flat divider beads…oh, and 10 knots. I figure that mine is a special souvenir and it signifies the following to me: My paternal Grandmother’s birthday is June 22nd and my Dad eventually saw her again and Jesus on June 22nd. My Mother was born in 1922 and I was 22 years old when I was pregnant with my first child. As for the 10 knots…well, I was 10 when the Holy Spirit began dealing with me and brought me under conviction to realize I needed Jesus to be my personal Savior. And then I recalled the many locations in the Bible which speak of “worry,” yet those in Matthew flooded over me.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?" ~Matthew 6:25 (NIV)

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin." ~Matthew 6:28 (NIV)

"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' " ~Matthew 6:31 (NIV)

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." ~Matthew 6:34 (NIV)

…and also that one verse so close to my heart,

“Now don’t worry about a thing, my daughter. I will do what is necessary, for everyone in town knows you are an honorable woman." ~Ruth 3:11 (NIV)

So it’s while I was researching these special “worry beads,” that I was reminded once again how to keep my cup half full instead of viewing it half empty. You know what else? I’ve decided the perfect place for those “worry beads” to reside is on God’s Word.

Thank You Father, for capturing me in your reflection in order to view something so foreign to my heart and soul.

4 comments:

Jennifer Taylor said...

That was sweet of your hubby. Interesting concept on the worry beads.

Winging It said...

I found you via Crown Laid Down, and loved your design, so I had to see the musings of a fellow Christian who had such good taste! :)

I "got" your concerns about the worry beads, as I was raised a Catholic, but am now simply a Christian. My Mama has started making rosaries and she of course has made me one, and she knows I just use it to hold onto as I pray for family members and friends. She too, has grown over the years to read the Word and has made her own word inspired prayers (which makes me very happy to see God at work!)

Anyway, all that was to say - 22 x 3 = 66; 66 Books of The Bible - :) The Word Incarnate! Who came and Dwelt among us! We give HIM our "worries!" How cool, huh?

great to meet you!
Maria!

Mary said...

Thanks for stopping by Jennifer! I am way behind in thanking you and for that I apologize. I'm glad you came though, read and hopefully enjoyed the time you spent. Hope to hear from you again in the future!
~Mary

Mary said...

Hi Maria,
Yes, Holly designed my blog and is now one of my newest friends and sisters in Christ. Thank you for your comments. Yes, I discovered what the number of beads meant. I will use it in a presentation this month at church regarding my time in Saudi Arabia. I loved what you said..."...now I am simply a Christian." My husband is Church of Christ and I am Baptist. I, too, have many relatives and friends who are Catholic. All I have to say about the many religions in our world is that our God is large and our God reigns! He will know us if we are His children and welcome us home.
God bless you,
~Mary